15 Yogasanas for Controlling Hypertension
Ardha Kati Chakrasana
- Stand straight with feet a little apart, hands by your side.
- While inhaling, lift the right arm up all the way, touching your ear with palm facing the head.
- While exhaling, bend on the side. Stretch your neck, look up at your fingers.
- Hold for a count of 5.
- Inhale, come back up.
- Repeat on each side 6 times.
- Stand with legs stretched apart.
- Raise the hands sideways, parallel to ground while inhaling.
- Bend to the right till right hand touches the right heel or right calf muscle, with left hand straight up while exhaling. Stretch your neck and look up.
- Hold for a count of 5. Then come up while inhaling.
- Exhale, bend on to your left.
- Repeat on each side 6 times.
- Stand straight with feet little apart hands by your side.
- Then slowly inhaling, rise on to toes, lifting both the arms from your side all the way above your head, locking the fingers with palms facing up.
- Balance for a count of 5.
- Then exhaling slowly, bring the arms down, and the heels down.
- Repeat 6 times
- Stand straight with feet little apart.
- Then slowly fold your left leg and place your left foot on the right thigh
- Slowly balancing on right leg, lift both the hands while inhaling, all the way above the head.
- Hold for a count of 5. Then slowly bring the arms down, exhaling.
- Stretch the leg and relax. Repeat on the other side.
- Repeat 3 times on each side.
- Sitting with both legs stretched in front, fold the right leg, and bring right heel under the right buttock.
- Then sitting on right heel, fold the left leg, and bring the left heel under the left buttock.
- Sit erect on the heels, with palms resting on thighs, and relax.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Stand on your knees with knees and heels shoulder distance apart.
- Placing both thumbs on either side of the spine, inhale and bend back.
- Then inhaling further, bend back further, and bring palms on to heels.
- Push the waist forward and hold the position for a count of 30 with normal breathing.
- Exhaling, come back standing on knees.
- Repeat 3 times.
- Sit with both legs stretched out.
- Bend the right leg at knee, and place the right foot by the side of left knee.
- Exhaling, twist and bring the left elbow across the right knee and hold right big toe.
- Place the right palm just behind, opening up shoulder and giving full twist to spine.
- Hold for a count of 30 with normal breathing, in position. Then inhaling, untwist and stretch the leg.
- Repeat on the other side. Repeat 3 times on each side.
- While lying down on your back with feet together, hands by your side, as you inhale, slowly raise the right leg up till 90 degrees (without bending the knee) or as far as possible.
- Hold for a count of 5.Then slowly exhaling, bring the leg down. Then do the same with left leg. Repeat 6 times.(Do not bend the knees - Do not raise the leg on the floor to raise the other leg further - Perfectly synchronize breathing with leg movements.)
- Lying down on the back, bend both legs, bringing heels as close to body as possible, with feet a little apart, and knees apart.
- Hold heels with both hands. Inhaling, raise the waist alone as high as possible.
- Hold for a count of 5 and exhaling, bring the waist down.
- Repeat 6 times.
- Lying down on the abdomen, place the palms by side of the chest with fingers below the shoulder line, and with toes, heels and knees together.
- Keeping elbows closer, lift the head neck and chest till navel while inhaling.
- Arch the dorsal spine and neck as backward as possible.
- Hold the position for a count of 30. Exhale, come down.
- Repeat 3 times.
- Sit in padmasana or sukha asana (cross leg position) with hands resting on the knees.
- Stretch the tongue forward, partly out of the mouth, folding it like a tube.
- Slowly suck the air, inhaling through the tongue and mouth.
- Feel the cool air passing down the throat into the lungs.
- Slowly exhale through the nostrils, feeling the movement of warm air.
- Repeat for 10 rounds.
- Sit in padmasana, or comfortable cross leg posture, or vajrasana.
- Fold the second and third fingers, placing your thumb to right nostril and forth finger to left nostril.
- Close your right nostril with thumb, inhale with left as slowly as possible all the way focusing on the depth of breathing.
- Now close left nostril with fourth finger and exhale with right nostril.
- Next inhale with the right nostril, close it with thumb and exhale on the left.
- Continue alternate nostril breathing, keeping eyes closed, focusing on the depth of the breathing. Do it for 10 rounds.
- Sit in cross leg position keeping your eyes closed.
- Now touch the tip of the tongue to the top of the palate with mouth closed.
- Inhale deeply with both nostrils.
- Exhale Chant 'ommm' or Omkara, slowly producing a low pitched sound resembling the humming of a female bee.
- Sit in comfortable cross leg position with hands resting on the knees.
- Keeping eyes closed sit in silence.
- Just observe the breathing with no thoughts.
- Begin with 3 – 5 minutes.
- Lie down on the back with feet a little apart, hands by your side, with palms facing up and face to a side.
- Relax the whole body gradually, moving focus from toes to head.
- Relax the mind observing the breathing, with no thoughts for a while.