Search
 Healthy Living » Travel & Leisure » On the Tiger's Trail   Login
  

  
 Travel & Leisure

 
On the Tiger's Trail
Ravi Naidu and Viswaprasad Raju
 
The word ‘tiger’ comes from Greek, meaning ‘arrow.’ No wonder, a tiger hits 35 miles an hour. They’re among the most powerful hunters on land or in water. But, can it withstand the hunting prowess of the mankind? Not by a long shot.

We have, to our discredit, a famous tiger park with no tigers at all. We have reduced the tiger population to a mere 1000 plus in quick time. What’s worse, the latest research suggests that time is running out for those few survivors. It’s now or never for the elusive and magnificent beast.

For a healthy world, we need to get our act right and save the most precious species of all. For if it survives, we survive. It’s as simple or as complicated as that.

In search of the monarch of the jungle…
Planning a trek sometime soon? Here are some pointers to guide you:

Best Season : Winter months
Best places to go:Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh, Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh, Jim Corbett National Park, Uttaranchal
Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, Tadoba Wildlife Sanctuary, Maharashtra

There are many jungle resorts that are situated close to the park. They arrange for both, jeep and elephant jungle safari with their own trained guide. That’s the best way to explore. Jim Corbett has a guest house in the park itself, but check way in advance to make a booking.

 

Tigers and humans cannot coexist in the same habitat.”
- Prerna Singh Bindra

For countless centuries, our country has been home to a magnificent array of wild creatures. Our ancestors had learned to live with them in mutual respect. We hold this great heritage in trust for future generations. Let us prove worthy of it.”
- Indira Gandhi


I think the most extraordinary thing about tigers is they’re solitary. So a sick tiger, a weak tiger, a physically disabled tiger, is a dead tiger. So every tiger you see has to be absolute perfection.”
- Belinda Wright


We allowed a tiger reserve only a three hour drive from the capital of India, to go and self-destruct... The tiger is the sentinel. It is the great symbol that keeps this quality of the natural world alive. Therefore, people like myself will fight for it till the last day I’m alive.”
- Valmik Thapar

In a country like India, this is a dilemma. We have semi-natural ecosystems, which cover about 10 per cent of India’s land, and 4% is under protected areas. We have passed the point of squeezing this further. If the problems of a billion people have not been solved with 96 per cent of the land, then the remaining 4% cannot save them.”
- Ulhas Karanth

 
Ravi Naidu is a wildlife photographer and Viswaprasad Raju is a travel writer.

  
 Also See

  
 Related Articles