Dos & Don’ts of Wearing Braces
- Cut your food into small pieces and eat.
- Avoid biting with the front teeth.
- Carrots, apples and corn should be eaten only if they are sliced or grated.
- Do not drink soda, unless it is artificially sweetened, brush your teeth immediately after as the soda contains an acid which dissolves the cement that
holds your braces in place. They become loose and trap food beneath leading to cavities.
- Avoid eating hard food such as nuts, chips, hard candies and ice. They can bend wires and break brackets. Sticky foods including chewing gum, toffees and
caramels should be avoided.
- If a bracket or wire becomes loose, call your dentist as soon as possible and fix an appointment.
- If you play sports, do not go ahead with using the same kind of protection to stop your braces from causing injury in your mouth. Either remove the braces
altogether or use a mouth guard if you have a fixed one.
- Do not bite nails or suck your thumb. If the root cause of the problem was this, this habit will continue to force them to stay in the crooked positions even while
you have the braces.