Uterine cancer or endometrial cancer is the growth of malignant cells in a woman’s uterus.
Its causes are not known but some of the risk factors include:
- Estrogen therapy without progestin
- Use of tamoxifen
- Having no children
- Family or personal history of cancer
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal discharge
- Pelvic pain
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Painful urination
Treatment varies from patient to patient and includes one or more of the following:
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Surgery to remove the uterus, ovaries, lymph nodes or other affected areas
There is no specific way to prevent uterine cancer but avoiding the risk factors may reduce the risk.