Sleeping sickness or African trypanosomiasis is a parasitic disease affecting the brain and the meninges.
- Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense
- Bite of an infected tsetse fly
- Mother to fetus infection
- Blood transfusion
- Painful red swelling at the site of bite
- Joint pains
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Insomnia at night
- Excessive day time sleepiness
Sleeping sickness is fatal if not treated promptly. Treatment includes the following medication:
- Suramin (Antrypol)
- Insect control in risky areas
- Avoiding insect bites by using sleeping nets, protective clothing etc.