Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease causing inflammation of the joints and sometimes inflammation of the other tissues and organs in the body.
Its causes are not known.
- Swelling and redness of the affected areas
- Stiffness and pain in the affected areas
- Low grade fever
- Loss of appetite
There is no cure for this condition but it may go into periods of remission. Treatment may reduce symptoms and slow down the damage to joints. It includes:
- Lifestyle changes like maintaining a healthy weight, reducing stress on affected joints, and regular physical activity
- Medication like corticosteroids, analgesics, NSAIDs, Disease Modifying Anti-rheumatic Drugs (DMARDs), etc.
- Surgery to remove the diseased tissue, repair the joint, replace the joint or fuse the bones together
Since the cause is not known, there is no way to prevent rheumatoid arthritis.