Presbycusis refers to gradual hearing loss due to old age.
- Reduced blood supply to the ear because of atherosclerosis, diabetes, hypertension, smoking, etc.
- Prolonged exposure to loud noise
- Certain medication
- Difficulty in understanding speech especially in background noise
- Difficulty in distinguishing high pitched sounds
- Hearing aids
- Assistive listening devices
- Cochlear implants
Presbycusis cannot be prevented always but following may reduce the risk:
- Avoiding exposure to loud noise
- Avoiding smoking
- Maintaining a healthy weight