Preeclampsia is a condition during pregnancy causing hypertension and excess protein in the urine.
Its causes are not clear but some of the risk factors include:
- First pregnancy
- Family history of preeclampsia
- Multiple babies
- Pregnancy before 20 or over 35 years of age
- Certain medical condition like high blood pressure, kidney disease or diabetes
- Swelling of feet and hands
- Sudden increase in weight
- Excessive nausea or vomiting
- Reduced urination
- Vision problems
- Pain in abdomen
- Bed rest
- Medication to reduce blood pressure
There is no way to prevent preeclampsia.