Paget’s disease of the breast is a condition causing eczema-like appearance in the nipple and areola, usually accompanied by underlying breast cancer.
Causes are not clear but risk factors include:
- Family or personal history of breast cancer
- Never having a child
- Early start of periods
- Late menopause
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Scaling or flaking
- Flat or inverted nipple
- Lump under the nipple or areola
- Mastectomy: Removal of the entire breast
- Lumpectomy: Removal of only the affected part of the breast
- Radiation therapy
Since causes are not clear, there is no way to prevent Paget’s disease of the breast.