Osteogenesis imperfecta is a genetic disorder causing fragile bones.
- Gene mutation
- Autosomal dominant inheritance
- Loose joints
- Curved spine
- Brittle teeth
- Weak muscles
- Hearing loss
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Respiratory problems
- Short stature
There is no cure for osteogenesis imperfecta but bone strength can be increased by:
- Bisphosphonates and other medication
- Support devices like casts, braces, walkers, etc.
- Surgery to implant rods and correct deformities
There is no known way to prevent osteogenesis imperfecta.