Oral cancer is growth of cancerous tissue anywhere in the mouth or lips.
Causes are not known but risk factors include:
- Tobacco consumption
- Alcohol consumption
- History of head or neck cancers
- Frequent exposure to sun
- White or red patches on the lips, tongue or anywhere inside the mouth
- Mouth ulcers or sores that are difficult to heal
- Lump in the mouth area
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Surgical removal of the tumor
- Radiation to destroy or shrink the tumor with radiation
- Chemotherapy to destroy the cancer with medication
There is no way to prevent oral cancer but avoiding the risk factors can reduce the risk.