Myotonic dystrophy, a form of muscular dystrophy, is an inherited multisystemic disorder.
- Muscle wasting
- Myotonia or difficulty in relaxing a muscle
- Cardiac conduction defects
- Insulin resistance
- Breathing problems
- Developmental delays
- Mental deficiency
There is no specific treatment and cure for myotonic dystrophy. Symptoms can be managed with:
- Supportive devices like ankle supports and leg braces
- Physical therapy
- Medications to treat myotonia
- Lens replacement for cataract
- Pacemaker for heart problems
- Ventilator for respiratory defects
There is no way to prevent myotonic dystrophy.