Melasma is a dark skin discoloration usually on the face and sometimes on the neck and forearms.
- Oral contraceptives
- Hormonal replacement therapy
- Genetic predisposition
- Allergic reactions to medications and cosmetics
- Exposure to sun
- Gray brown patches on the skin
Symptoms are only cosmetic in nature and disappear gradually by:
- Stopping triggers like oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy
- After giving birth
- Topical creams and depigmentation agents
- Facial or chemical peels
- Laser treatment in certain cases
- Avoiding exposure to sun
- Using sunscreen
- Using protective clothing and hats before stepping out in the sun.