Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose which is a sugar found in milk and dairy products.
- Lack of enzyme called lactase
- Injury to small intestine
- Certain medical conditions like celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, etc.
- Certain medications
- Old age
Symptoms may begin after 30 minutes to 2 hours of consuming anything containing lactose and include:
There is no cure for the condition but symptoms can be managed by:
- Avoiding lactose consumption in case of high intolerance
- Consuming limited and tolerable amount of lactose through controlled diet
- Taking lactase enzyme in the form of tablets or liquids
- Consuming lactose reduced milk and dairy products
There is no way to prevent lactose intolerance.