Ichthyosis is a skin disorder causing dry and scaly skin.
- Genetic or hereditary
- Certain medical conditions like underactive thyroid, sarcoidosis, lymphoma, or HIV infection
Symptoms vary according to the type of ichthyosis and include:
- Dry, rough and scaly skin
- Thickening of the skin
There is no cure for ichthyosis and treatment includes:
- Topical creams and moisturizers to hydrate the skin
- Exfoliation to remove thickened skin
- Retinoids to reduce scaling
- Prescription creams and ointments containing alpha hydroxy acids
There is no way to prevent ichthyosis.