Hirsutism is excessive facial or body hair in women.
- Increased level of androgen or male hormones
- Increased sensitivity of hair follicles to normal levels of androgen
- Certain medical conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, insulin resistance, tumors in ovaries or adrenal gland, etc.
- Certain medications
- Increased hair growth
- Increased coarseness and pigmentation of hair
- Deepening of voice
- Increased muscle mass
- Irregular menstruation
- Hormone therapy
- Cosmetic means like bleaching, waxing, shaving and hair removing creams
- Electrolysis or laser therapy
There is no way to prevent hirsutism.