Hip fracture is a break in the top end of the thigh bone near the hip joint.
- Trauma or fall
- Weak bones due to aging
- Certain medical conditions like osteoporosis, thyroid problems etc.
- Certain medications like corticosteroids
- Pain and stiffness in the hip
- Swelling in the hip
- Inability to bear weight on the hip
- Shorter and out turned leg on the affected side
- Surgery to repair or replace the bone is the best treatment unless it can not be performed due to medical reasons
- Avoid falls and accidents
- Maintain proper calcium and vitamin D levels in the body