Glomerulonephritis is a disease affecting the kidney causing inflammation of glomeruli (small blood vessels in kidney) which help in filtering wastes and fluids from the body.
Causes vary according to the kind of glomerulonephritis and may include:
- Infections such as streptococcal, HIV, bacterial endocarditis etc.
- Immune system abnormalities like IgA nephropathy, lupus, goodpasture’s syndrome etc.
- Certain medical conditions like diabetic kidney disease, high blood pressure, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, vasculitis etc.
- Blood in urine
- Foamy urine
- Decreased urine output
- High blood pressure
- Weight loss
- Medications such as blood pressure medications, diuretics, immunosuppressive agents and corticosteroids
- Restricted intake of salts, potassium, proteins and fluids
- Kidney transplant
Practicing safe sex to avoid infections like HIV
- Prompt treatment of infections that can lead to glomerulonephritis like streptococcal
- Avoiding diabetes
- Avoiding high blood pressure