A food allergy is an abnormal reaction of the immune system to certain foods in certain people.
- Production of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies in response to certain foods like cow’s milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, etc.
- Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Runny nose
- Anaphylaxis or a sudden drop in blood pressure
There is no way to cure allergies but they can be managed by:
- Eliminating the allergen completely from the diet
- Medications like antihistamines after an allergic reaction
- Epinephrine or adrenaline injections in case of sever allergic reaction