Developmental dysplasia of the hip is a congenital condition where the hip is dislocated or unstable.
Causes are not clear but risk factors include:
- Effect of the mother’s hormones especially relaxin
- First child
- Breech delivery
- Legs of different sizes
- Abnormal gait
- Uneven skin folds on the affected thigh
- Hip joint that feels loose
- Pavlik harness for babies younger than 6 months
- Spica cast for older babies
- Surgery to manipulate the hip bone in case of older babies who do not benefit from casting
Prevention is not possible but early detection can help in the treatment.