Depression is a condition that affects the psychological and physical wellbeing of a person by causing negative feelings for extended period of time.
- Heredity: sometimes tendency towards depression runs in the family
- Environment: a persistently discouraging and sad environment, work stress etc
- Life events: a serious loss, family crisis, relationship problems, financial problems or any undesirable change in life
- Certain medical conditions
- Personality: low self esteem, pessimism, lack of emotional strength
- Loss of interest in activities
- Lack of ability to feel pleasure
- Persistent feeling of sadness
- Feeling of worthlessness and hopelessness
- Feeling of guilt
- Crying spells
- Increased or decreased appetite
- Loss of sleep or excessive sleeping
- Chronic pains and digestive problems without apparent reason
- Social withdrawal
- Thoughts of death and suicide
- Psychotherapy: counseling and behavioral therapy help to address the issues causing depression and develop coping skills.
- Medication: Antidepressants are sometimes prescribed to control symptoms which interfere in daily activities.