A brain abscess is an inflamed area in the brain containing pus, caused due to some infection in the brain.
- Infection in some part of the body carried by blood to the brain
- Infection due to some open wound in the head
- Middle ear or sinus infections
- Stiffness in neck and back
- Vision problems
- Decreased responsiveness
- Speech problems
- Muscle weakness or paralysis
- Antibiotics may be used to fight the infection in case of minor abscesses
- Aspiration may help in draining the abscess if reaching it does not cause damage to the brain.
- Excision may be required in some cases to surgically remove the abscess
- Treating any infection promptly by seeking medical intervention