Antisocial personality disorder is a psychiatric disorder beginning in childhood leading to criminal behavior.
- Environmental factors such as child abuse, inadequate discipline, disturbed family life etc.
- Persistent disregard for rules and regulations
- Lying or stealing often
- Aggressive and violent behavior
- Lack of guilt on doing something wrong
- Inability to get along with peers
- Manipulation and exploitation of others
- Mood disorders like anxiety, depression etc.
- Emotional instability
Treatment consists mainly of psychotherapy and counseling. Medications may be used to manage symptoms like depression.
- Early intervention and appropriate disciplining in childhood itself
- Providing adequate attention and emotional support to children
- Developing respect for rules and regulations