It is a progressive, degenerative and terminal brain disease causing dementia in people. Degeneration of healthy brain tissues affects memory and mental abilities.
Causes for Alzheimer’s are not yet confirmed though age and family history are considered to be risk factors.
- Short term memory loss
- Repeating statements
- Misplacing items
- Problems choosing proper clothing
- Hallucinations, arguments, striking out, and violent behavior
- Delusions, depression, agitation
- Paranoia, distrust
- Inability to understand language
- Inability to recognize family members
- Inability to perform basic activities of daily living such as eating, dressing and bathing
There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease though some medications and lifestyle changes can be used to slow down the progression of the disease and also manage the behavioral problems.
Some possible ways of preventing Alzheimer’s are:
- Indulging in activities that keep your brain active
- Balanced diet