Acromegaly is a disorder resulting from excessive production of growth hormone in the body.
- Adenoma ( a benign tumor on the pituitary gland)
- Rarely, tumors of the pancreas, lungs or adrenal glands
- Increase in size of hands, feet, nose, lips and tongue
- Enlarged jaw
- Enlarged forehead
- Bone and cartilage overgrowth in joints
- Thickening and coarsening of skin
- Deepening of voice
- Increased perspiration
- Enlarge heart and other body organs
- Disturbed sleep
- Vision problems
- Irregular periods
Surgery: It is used to remove most pituitary tumors.
- Drug therapy: If surgery is unsuccessful, then medication is used to lower or block the production of growth hormones.
- Radiation therapy: If the above treatments fail, radiation therapy is used to destroy the tumor cells and reduce the growth hormone production.